Velvet is a type of woven tufted fabric in which the cut threads are evenly distributed, with a short dense pile, giving it a distinctive feel. By extension, the word velvety means "smooth like velvet." Velvet can be made from either synthetic or natural fibers.
- "Velvet" does not refer to the fabric, but to a certain structure of fabric.
- It is usually made from cotton, silk, or rayon.
- Velvet is durable, thick, plush, and warm.
- It has a short fuzzy surface and drapes well.
- Velvet must be handled carefully and stored properly because folds and creases can permanently flatten the surface. To get creases out of velvet, use a steamer or a velvet board (a flat board that has hundreds of fine wires sticking out perpendicularly). The velvet board helps to protect the surface while it is being ironed.
- Velvet can be made from many different fabrics; review the care instructions that correspond to each velvet garment. Some velvet is machine washable, but many require dry cleaning.
絲絨是割絨絲織物的統稱。 表面有絨毛，大都由專門的經絲被割斷後所構成。 由於絨毛平行整齊，故呈現絲絨所特有的光澤。 如立絨、喬其絨等。多作服裝及裝飾用。
- 絲絨與人體有極好的生物相容性，加之表面光滑，其對人體的摩擦刺激係數僅次於絲綢。 因此，當我們的嬌嫩肌膚與滑爽細膩的絲綢邂逅時，它以其特有的柔順質感，依著人體的曲線 ，體貼而又安全地呵護著我們的每一寸肌膚。
How should velvet fabric be washed?
Generally washing velvet is a difficult task. It cannot be washed like normal fabric. It has to be dry cleaned. If you get small stains, gently remove the stains with a damp cloth. Wet the cloth in warm water and rub on that stains gently. Don’t rub the cloth too hard as it may damage the cloth. Now dab the fabric until it is dry. Repeat the process until the stains are removed. If the stain is large it is better to get it dry cleaned.